PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Collection at RAF Cosford under threat (Merged)
Old 9th Apr 2006, 11:01
Tempsford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preserving large aircraft will always create logistical problems. As I have said before, well intentioned people did not grasp the situation years ago when the idea of aircraft preservation gained apace.
It will never be practical to display aircraft of any size or description outside on a long term basis in this country without a detrimental effect on the structure. Aircraft were simply not designed to be stored outside long term sat on their gear. What evidence of decay that can be seen on the outside of the aircraft is a fraction of the problem that is arising. Structural failure, corosion in fuel tanks etc etc is another aspect that although cannot be seen, is happening.
Unless we adopt a policy of putting aircraft under cover in climatically controlled environments, maintained by people who know how to preserve aircraft, the inevitable fact is that we will lose those remaining outside.
Again, I would ask for emotion to be taken away from aircraft preservation. We must realise that unless aircraft are preserved correctly for the years to come, they will have a shelf life and this is evident by what is going on at Cosford now. I would even suggest that this was known when the aircraft were delivered to Cosford. BA did start to look after the a/c by placing de-humidifiers etc on them and carrying out other work which would only prolong the inevtiable.
Let's identify which aircraft that are stored outside now and select which ones that should be preserved under cover in the correct conditions.
Then we should identify where they should be preserved and how. This should be done so that future generations can see our aviation heritage. It will cost a fortune, but can we warrant the cost? Who will pay for it?
On another note, it looks like the Brit will remain at Cosford, outside, as is the Brit at Duxford. Both look as though they will remain outside... and rot.
My point is that to some, aircraft such as the Brit are not 'sexy' enough to warrant under cover storage. How many Vulcans and Spifires are 'preserved' in the UK compared to Transport Aircraft? Duxford is putting some airliners under cover when the new superhangar development is complete..well done Duxford.. you are the first to do this in the UK on a notable scale..there are others doing it on a lesser scale due to space and cost.
To clarify my stance, I am a Transport Aviation person. I have worked on many of the aircraft now rotting at the locations that we are discussing when they were in service.
It worries me that we have the opportunity to preserve what remaining avaition heritage that we do have for future generations and whilst some positive moves are being made, a number of 'gems' will be lost forever very soon unless something is done quickly and with the long term in mind. That is quite a responsibility. As can be seen at Cosford, we are disecting some of the aircraft and keeping the cockpits rather like animals heads mounted by game hunters. I am one of those people who wonder what the whole animal looked like and now will never know.

Gets off soap box and dons tin hat

Temps

Last edited by Tempsford; 9th Apr 2006 at 13:56.