PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 9th Apr 2006, 03:35
andy2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am just about to complete a law degree and on track for a 2:1 and now suddenly hit a hurdle. I know the degree is rather disconnected from the mathematical, aeronautical and engineering disciplines mentioned previously, but my two choices of career throughout my life have been a pilot or lawyer. I subsequently decided to do a degree in law, never wavering from my love of aviation, simply because I believed possessing a degree in law would be an extremely useful credential if anything went wrong with my prospective 'career' in aviation. I think my, possibly naive, belief was to obtain a career in law and slowly fund myself throughout the licences once completed, with the salary a professional job can provide; this was, however, ignoring the time it takes to become a lawyer (3 years uni, 3 years training) and the demands on one's time once qualified.

The reason I've hit a hurdle is because after three years of university I'm suddenly hit with a life choice. I have been accepted into law college, at a cost of just under £10,000 for the study for a year. Although law is a career I'd be happy in, I know it doesn't rank above my dream of being a pilot. I'm still young(ish) (21) and due to seeking employment in the summer periods of uni I'll come out of uni with no debt. Heck, I don't know why I'm posting this laborious post other than really for advice; would it be plausible for someone of my age with zilch (unfortunately) flying experience at this time to still be competitive within this industry? Would deferring entry from law college for at least a year and starting with the PPL be a better option, applying for CTC etc, or continue with the law college, get a career in law and fund it that way from 24 years old onwards? I'm trying to get as much info on the options available to me as possible, as well as revising (! ), before I pass the point of no return with law college, but I was merely wondering what some of you guys would suggest, it's just rather daunting to be at this position.