PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 9th Apr 2006, 01:27
Kinetic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snake80, I can sense you're nervous, everyone is at the initial stage but don't get to worked up.

Leeds is currently commonly used though it can vary and is down to the examiners discretion on the day. The most important thing is to try and realx as much as is possible have good CRM and be confident, give a good brief etc. even if you screw something up (I did on 2 manoeuvers initially) don't panic, just say "correcting" and make the changes to get the aircraft back on profile. If you go a bit fast, high/low, left/right they will forgive you if you pick it up and do soemthing about it. If you just sit there and exept the error or panic you will do yourself no favours. They are not looking for perfection.

As for the tech interview, you really must learn the last/current aircraft you flew inside out, they will test you on it. Type of engine normally aspirated / fuel injected??, is it a radial? how many cylinders? nose strut compression pressure? type of wing and flaps. What are the advantages of certain flaps. How much fuel can it hold, max distance/time. These may not be exact questions but similar things have been asked and they will expect you to know your last aircraft inside out. And you will be surprised how much knowlege they have and how many people fall down on this stage not the sim or interview.

I know that one examiner asked a friend in the classroom to brief him as best he could for a VOR approach to RW16 at Dublin. This again may not be asked but it has been and the VOR has an intermediate hard altitude and the VOR is a few miles from the runway (5 from memory) so you will get decreasing mileage to the VOR and then increasing mileage away from the VOR before you reach MDA 5 miles from VOR.

If you get similar or for you sim for another airport/approach I would suggest you do this in a logical flow

first plate brief: "read off top line left to right" VOR app to RW16 VOR freq, inbound course, Int hard alt, MDA, MSA in all sectors you will pass through on approach or poss go around. You then brief the go around procedure. just read the text, then skip the main part of the plate (for now) that shows the lateral and vertical profile.

Down to the bottom brief the min Viz/RVR (CAT c aircraft) and the MDA will also be shown there. plate brief done.

Second actions brief: (you will not be expected to know when to configure but points scoring helps and this should impress him/her) using the main part of the plate (vertical/lateral profile) say what you'll do at certain points.

i.e about 15 miles from touchdown I will reduce to 220 KTS, 12 miles from touchdown I will reduce speed and select flaps 1 and then 5. ( Now if you get the Dublin VOR Q it is a GOTCHA as the VOR is set off the Airfield your 15 miles from touchdown will be 10 miles from VOR). You are unlikely to have to fly it, I expect you will get standard CAT1 ILS. Continue with explainong how you would initially dial up the intermediate hard altitiude in the altitiude window and once you had passed you would then select final MDA and you would ask the instructor (non handling pilot) to monitor the descent from the plate for each of the last 5 miles and call out whether high or low so you could theoretically make corrections accordingly (i.e if at 4 miles you should be 1850ft and 3 miles 1200ft on the chart he/she may call "4 miles 1950 you are 100ft high" to which would call "correcting" and slightly increase decent. If they call " 3 miles 1100ft 100 ft low" you call "correcting" and slightly reduce ROD).
At or before MDA you would either disconnect and land or execute the go around as briefied earlier.

the most important thing to say (good CRM point) at the end when you think you've done any brief real or classroom is

"Have I missed anything important, do you have any advice/experience you may like to include" or words to that effect.

This may all be to much to take in, if so I am sorry, the VOR Dub example may not come up for you. Learn your last aircraft, try to enjoy it and GOOD LUCK