PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tfly. LGW. i´ve been called out on every single standby!!!
Old 8th Apr 2006, 20:31
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
banewboi - To your credit, you've apparently put your money where your mouth is, and are moving to BA (according to your previous posts). This, or course, is the best possible answer to the usual "If you don't like it, then why don't you leave" questions.

With respect, I'd point out that yours is just one of many possible points of view. There are many operational issues affecting Tfly at this precise moment - conferences, training, late ad-hoc etc. These are having a detrimental effect on the roster, which is partly why this weekend they are looking to buy back leave: It is also why standbys will get used a lot just now: And BTW, standbys are there to be used - it goes with the territory. If fewer crew members took social sickness (yes, we all know they do) then the standby issue would be less of a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no special fan of Tfly (although they employ me) - This winter has been the worst winter I have ever been through: There are many things wrong - breathtakingly poor management, incoherent company policies and strategies, poor or non-existent communication and the eternal problem of those who make management decisions that affect the line never setting foot on an aircraft unless clutching a G&T. Don't even start me on rosters - any sympathy I had for rostering redundancies has long disappeared since they have so consistently produced such lousy examples of the rosterers art, and in the process trashed my social and family life for some months now.

What it boils down to is whether you figure the grass will be greener elsewhere. The only thing I have learned is that the same S**t tends to happen everywhere. For me, I'm too old and set in my ways to change, and I suspect that many Tfly problems are echoed in other companies. The industry is changing, not to the ultimate benefit of the customers or the operational workforce - probably only to the short-term benefit of managers and shareholders. I believe (dark moment here) that we are due a number of fatalities in coming decades: That is what it will take in the end, to prove beyond doubt that you cannot fill the sky with an infinite number of aircraft, full of customers paying virtually nothing, staffed by crew with progressively lower experience and fatigue levels on minimum wages, outsourced maintenance and no down-time to fix defects. If aviation were the stock market, the the present situation would be a bubble; and they burst!

Phew - rant over! Not quite sure that I finished this thread where I started, but at least I finished.