PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 8th Apr 2006, 17:37
sicky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm coming up to the end of my first year doing Engineering at Leeds uni, and i really havn't enjoyed it. Add to that the fact that i'm not about £6k in debt because of it, i'm begining to wonder if it is really worth carrying on when all i want to do is fly. It may work against me in many ways, including making me look like i can't hack hard work, or that i'm not a "stayer" or just drop out. That would be a harsh conclusion though, as many, many people go to university only to find that it is not for them, and leave to pursue other options.

I suppose i could turn it around and say that in that year, i found out the best way to study, and what i really wanted to do with my life, aswell as meeting loads of new people and the usual university social aspects.

Theres also the financial side of things, considering i'll probably end up getting a loan of around £60k to become a pilot with no guarantees, is it worth making my student loan increase?

Not only that, but due to job cuts it's very possible my mum may be out of a job this summer, my dad has been out of work a few years, and this would probably mean that i wouldn't be able to afford to stay in Leeds anyway, as the student loan does not cover rent, tuition fees and the cost of living.

So my point is, that a degree is not listed as a requirement for pilots, but using it against you if you don't have one would be harsh, as even if i do drop out by choice, there's a chance i may be forced to drop out through a financial aspect, and that's no fault of me or my family.