PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2006, 16:19
Arkroyal
Just a numbered other

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cazatou,

Your list of quals is impressive, but I suspect gained some distance from the world of SH, and so not as relevant as they might be.

You say:
In the case of the Chinook accident I would suggest that it would have been more appropriate to have the ADF tuned to a suitable Airfield beacon, to which the aircraft could have homed to seek a radar letdown, in the highly likely event of the aircaft being forced to climb by the forecast poor weather
The Mk 2 Chinook had NO icing clearance below +4 Deg C, which meant that a climb to MSA was never an option. The flight was planned and flown VFR in marginal VMC, which the BoI agreed was suitable for the mission.

What subsequently happened will never be known to the standard of proof required to find dead man guilty of gross negligence.

I frequently operated in that theatre without partaking of Aldergrove's grease mountain. I do not consider it relevant, or any way proof of youe assumed slap-dash approach to the job. The flght could have returned them to theatre within crew duty time, or permission later sought to remain in Scotland. We simply do not have the facts, which must give the benefit of the doubt to Jon and Rick.