PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-5 accident at Dover AFB
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2006, 14:08
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jondc9
Ah, thrust reversers and deployment (uncommanded) inflight.
I recall that Douglas actually took their planes up, at a critical moment deployed reversers and showed that the plane could be controlled.
I understand (correct me if I am wrong , please) that boeing makes a mathematical calculation on the effect of a reverser and the ability of the plane to be controlled.
Does anyone know what Lockheed does/did for the C5?
It sure does sound like the plane got a little bit behind the power curve. Does anyone know what the flap settings should be at super heavy weight and loss of one or two engines on approach?
Does anyone know (for a fact please) if the C5 can "dump" fuel?
On some of the planes that I have flown if you "lose an engine" during the approach, you reduce your flap setting...how about the C5?
jon
A few comments

No where Have I seen anything but unsubstantiated third and 4th hand rumor about uncommanded inflight reverse. I have read 2nd hand rumor about a reverser unlock light, which is still protected from deployment by backup systems.

The present tense use of what Boeing does or does not do relative to protecting against uncommanded deployment is not correct. Lessons have been learned by all manufacturers and regulatory agenciesd and are reflected in today's (present tense ) designs

What Lockheed did (past tense) may have been of interest for the C5 but only if the facts relate it to this accident. Right now, as far as I understand, the report from the crew is that an engine flamed out/was shutdown.

I still have no idea why this was not routinely handled by the crew and if there might have been another system failure.