PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 8th Apr 2006, 12:18
Han 1st Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
university degree

Hi all,

One degree that may well help (in the future that is) for an aviation career is the aviation technology degree currently undertaken by Leeds University. It covers at present most ATPL subjects although i'm not sure as to what depth, and a PPL to boot, but what is interesting is that it is hoped that eventually one will be able to take the ATPL ground exams at the end of it, two birds with one stone spring to mind. Might be some time off though.

Didn't go to uni myself, and am currently in the BACon holding pool so you definatley don't need a degree to get into the airlines. I do however know plenty of students and am sure that university can be a positive experience but at the end of the day its down to the individual and whether you want to spend three years studying before starting your commercial training and gaining some life experience or whether you want to get there as quick as possible and maybe miss out on the uni lifestyle. I'm happy the way I went, modular and then instructing so maybe i've got alittle aviation and life experience from the way i've done it.