PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Laptop Purchase Advice
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2006, 08:54
FIMbar the Furious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Laptop Purchase Advice

Fellow Ppruners, yet again I have come to this forum for good advice. I am about to purchase my first laptop from a uk based supplier and would like to here your coments or reviews about your experience.

I will be starting a new job soon which will mean a lot of work away from home. What I would like the laptop to be able to do is the following

Be suitable for for a skype webcam connection so I can see my family.

be ablle to cope with DVD play back to watch movies with some sort of TV out so as I can attach it to a TV when in a hotel.

Be able to cope with Live feed TV. I subscribe to a website that gives live scottish football if you are outside the UK.

Play the odd game IE FIFA type football, Rugby, Civ etc

I also need it to run an office suite but would expect that even the cheapest model would cope with MS or Abillity office.

I am looking at the sub £700 models from companies such as Dell, Acer, Hp etc. Hard disk size is not too important as I would keep my office files off the PC but I would think that memory as usual would be important so I have been thinking about something with 1024m. At the lower end of the market I guess i wont be getting the fastest processor.

The big question is am I asking too much from a budget machine.

cheers

FTF