PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wedding protocol
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2006, 17:13
Zoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swords or not, don't forget what Stradling's Customs of the Services has to say in Chapter 5 entitled 'Relationship between Officers and Men'. It makes entertaining reading in the 3rd Millennium:

'[Officers] must learn to be friendly with their men without loss of dignity or respect, always realising that 'undue familiarity breeds contempt'.

'However charming they may be, you must make no attempt to know your men or their families 'socially', that is by visiting their houses as a guest or other form of social liaison.

'...officers are forbidden to drink with their non-commissioned officers and men. Never remain in a public bar if other ranks are present or enter. You may achieve cheap popularity by drinking in in a pub with your men, but you will lose respect .... when drink loosens tongues.'

Customs of the Services was first published in 1939 and was amended a few times after the War. My edition was published in 1962 (cost 10/6, or 11/- by post) but I would say that much of it was out of date by the time I got hold of it in 1966. When I was in MOD in the early 80s attempts were being made to update it properly to take account of the general shift in social attitudes but I don't know if anything came of it.

Back to swords, and I have my father's Army sword with both leather and polished steel scabards. During the War my father 'relieved' a Japanese officer of his very fine samurai-style sword, which he then swopped with a Yank for his Remington .45, which he then swopped for a truncheon, which he then threw away for fear of being 'done' by the police for possession of an offensive weapon. Ironic, that.