PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stuck left pedal in hover: what do you do?
Old 7th Apr 2006, 12:33
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Running on from havoc's post about touchdown autos, it's interesting to hear of regulators looking to remove the requirement for them from testing for instructor qualification.
Personally, I love autos and would like to think that the vast majority of instructors could do a good one themselves, but I'm also well aware of the good chance of bending a machine in the pursuit of smooth engine off touchdowns, so I can understand owners not wanting to have their aircraft subjected to heaps of engine-offs for no great gain.
Obviously there's a compromise to be reached between realistic practice and going stupid for no good reason, but I hope that the regulatory authorities can strike the right balance.
I've been told by our own regulatory authority that touchdown autos are required for endorsements (B206, for example), but how many actually do them? I'd be happy to myself - as I say, they're fun, but I can equally understand the position of the owner who doesn't want his machine off line for an expensive repair when a power terminated auto may have done the job as well.