PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stuck left pedal in hover: what do you do?
Old 7th Apr 2006, 11:12
Helicopspeeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck left pedal emergancy.

Great thread guys, seems there are as many remedies to this situatuion as there are heli's for it to happen to. I'll throw another spanner into the works. Recently did some great company check training (here in Australia) with our chief pilot. We have 8 helis parked in close proximity to each other at a busy G.A. ramp. The emergency we practised was a stuck left pedal on T/O. Putting the machine back on the ground without rolling four or five million dollars worth of helicopters into a ball was not an option. We didn't fly it away, simply accepted the spin (it's still flying) raised the club enough to clear the hard things and moved it to a more benign area. Aside from the obvious clearance issues this also allowed me some time to get my head around the emergency.(And realise that I had very little idea how to get out of it). In the 206 we simply reduced the throttle enough to slow or stop the turn rate and induce a gentle decent. With 2hrs fuel and two up we dropped the rrpm down to about 87% where it stayed quite happily and we settled it onto the ground with about ten knots forward.
Stuck pedals, mostly due to spent shell casings are a serious risk here in Aus and after having spent the last 8 years or so using bell 47s and 206s to shoot feral animals I can tell you it is a constant concern. CASA has mandated the fitting of casing capture devices on all ejecting firearms being discharged from aircraft. This is also due to T/R damage from ejected shells.
If you can find someone with experience teaching these emergencies and get them to go for a spin (literally) with you then you may be able to keep that machine with the spinny, propeller thingy pointing up.
Later.