PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Sinks to a new Low - Sacks Worker for beig a Goth
Old 7th Apr 2006, 08:45
planemad2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the full story, she DID attend the interview like that, and was hired.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jetstar sacks attendant over looks

07-04-2006

The Daily Telegraph

Brooke Ogden is good looking enough to star in TV commercials but according to Jetstar her looks are not good enough to check in passengers.

The 27-year-old was sacked as check-in attendant for the budget airline for looking too "gothic".

Now she is examining whether she has a case for unfair dismissal, despite the airline denying it had exploited new IR legislation by sacking her.

Ms Ogden said her managers had told her to change her appearance on several occasions, including instructions to wear more blush and lipstick, change the colour of her nail polish and lighten her eyes.

Despite having looked the same at the job interview from which she was hired, she said she immediately changed her appearance to comply.

But last Thursday Ms Ogden arrived at work to find she was not on the roster. At a meeting with her manager she was told she was being dismissed because of the way she looked.

"She said it was to do with appearance and work issues and when I queried her on the work issues she said, 'You are obviously upset, tensions are running high'," Ms Ogden told The Daily Telegraph.

"I said, 'I just want to know why I'm being fired' and she said, 'We can't comment on that right now', and I asked her once more and she couldn't tell me."

Jetstar claimed Ms Ogden was still on probation, even though she had been there for almost six months - well beyond the three-month probation period.

She said the same manager had told her at an earlier meeting: "You are quite gothic looking."

"I didn't know how to react to that," Ms Ogden said.

Her looks were clearly not a problem for KFC, which used her as the face of its Twister wraps in a television ad campaign.

Ms Ogden said she had been a hard worker and an enthusiastic advocate of Jetstar until the day she was sacked. She had even passed up another job offer on the day she was fired.

"I was a fan of the company up until last Thursday," she said.

A Jetstar spokesman said Ms Ogden was dismissed for "appropriate reasons" but could not say what they were.