PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experimental catagory
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2006, 07:07
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Soooo.. Since I have SE priviledges on my FAA ticket, I was wondering what the rules are regarding an N-reg experimental catagory aircraft based here in the UK? May I?
The answer is complicated, but if you want the simple version it's "no" !

Also, what have peoples experiences been with importing 2nd hand Kitplanes to the UK and getting them G-reg'ed under the PFA scheme? Looking at the somewhat difficult PFA website it seems there are some pitfalls but with a thorough inspection by a PFA engineer to clear the aircraft to UK standards.
If it's an already UK approved type, and you don't mind stripping it down for a full inspection (covering everything that would have been inspected within the build) you can probably do it.

If it's a new type - see my answer about experimental. Of-course, if you are a chartered aeronautical engineer with time on your hands looking for a hobby...

How is the 51% organised in the UK?
Ambiguously. There is a formal system described in CAP659 (available on CAA's website), but I've never heard of it being rigorously used. Basically the Chief Engineer at PFA or (if it's a microlight) Chief Technical Officer at BMAA has got to be happy that it's at-least 51%. I believe that both tend to prefer a work-log for your first example as evidence.

G