PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai and the law - Be Careful
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2006, 19:23
sdcycles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legal Theft?

Picked up a visiting friend from Abu Dhabi tonight. I had arranged for her visa this end so as she progressed through to customs the guys in frocks removed the following because she didn't have a visa at that point... A personal cosmetic gift for me, four bottles of wine, a carton of cig's and some Kudu biltong.

She asked the 'custom officials' if she returned with her visa from across the arrivals hall, in sight, would she be able to collect her items. They said NO. They refused to give a receipt. She tried to keep an eye on them whilst getting her visa but during the 'maid eye' scan they scuttled off into the the woodwork.

Call me old fashioned but in the First World isn't this theft? Tried to report it to some tosser in an office dressed like a 747 skipper, but he was far to busy to notice me and the clock was ticking. Etihad toll free number can only give me a customer number that is constantly busy. Apparently I have to drive back South tomorrow to report it all again to an Etihad help desk. Welcome to the UAE! Frankly I hope the wine turns to **** and the Kudu turns out to be made from trotters.
In the time I've been here I've never heard of this sort of thing, so perhaps new depths are being plumbed. My friend is very upset as this is her first visit.....Suspect it's the last.