PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What now for Saudi Arabian?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2006, 16:56
Fool 'n' Tameez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mutt
Cant blame the airline for the MD90, it wasnt the airplane of choice! It was operating JED-ATH with a full load, so how can you say its not suited for medium haul routes?
I know that, but that doesn't change the fact they are saddled with it. As for the MD90's capabilities, you would know better than me since you're an insider, but I have been lead to believe that it struggled to do JED-FCO when it was briefly deployed on that route. An A320 would do that without problems, and other other routes too, like JED-TUN, where a B772 is sent even though it is way too much plane for the route.

15 Embraer 170s just arriving with 10 B747-400's starting to arrive at the end of the year.

Please explain? The only route dropped was Athens.
Athens was the last dropped, but the european network has been steadily declining over the last few years. Other than for LHR, SV has been forced to combine stations on "dog leg" routings.

Initial IPO will release 30% of company shares by end of 2006.

What type of action would you recommend?

Mutt
For one thing streamline the bloated structure. It runs more like a government beurocracy than a public company. Consolidate fleet into fewer types (IMO replacing the 744s with the 773ER is a better choice than more 744s), completely overhaul ground services, update cabin and upgrade inflight service, concentrate on fewer hubs (ie relegate Dammam), etc... etc...
There's a lot that can be done. Maybe with public accountability, they can be spurred into action.