PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Training Question
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2006, 13:02
dc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
peter:

I would recommend you go to the states or spain and do it intensively for about 4 weeks. I've just jacked in my ppl course after accumulating 70+ hours at weston!!. i had passed my written exams, done my solo cross country, all i had left was the flight test. but couldn't stick at it anymore as i found the 2 hours or so i was spending most weekends flying out there wasn't frequent enough and as a result I got really bored with flying and as a result ended up hating flying. it became a real pain in the arse after a while and i don't regret packing it in even though i was so close to finishing my ppl.

i remember asking the same question on this web site when i was considering where to do my ppl. at the time and like most people i worked monday - friday so i felt that the only way i could do the ppl was on the weekends. i figured it would take me a year maximum to do. how wrong i was. 2.5 yrs later and still don't have it. There was so much time wasted due to bad weather like crosswinds were too strong or the cloud base was too low etc. with the benefit of hindsight i should have gone to america or spain and done it in 4 weeks and got it over and done with. the mixture of good weather and flying very frequently in those warm weather countries is a very big benefit to the success of your training.

i don't want to be overly negative here but i would also consider very hard what u want to get out of doing ur ppl. i only say this as there are lots of people who spend tons of money and time on going for their ppl, only to fall by the wayside for various reasons. there are also lots of people who get their ppl and never fly again. i only say this as i was one of many bright eyed aviation enthusiasts who started my ppl with the view of getting the ppl, and perhaps progress on to do my atpl's but when you intend to do an hour training here and there on weekends, combined with the unpredictability of the irish weather i would perhaps reconsider investing the €9,000 -€10,000 it costs to do the ppl.

either way i wish u the best of luck with whatever you decode to do.