PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 6th Apr 2006, 10:43
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP's VOICE CONCERN OVER AFGHAN MISSION

I have taken out chunks of the article because the subject is covered on another thread....
.........The MPs also said they were "deeply concerned" that the 3,300-strong taskforce lacked sufficient close air support or transport helicopters.
And they demanded the Ministry of Defence produce evidence that the RAF's Hercules transport aircraft were fitted with adequate "defensive aids suites" to protect them from ground attack............
The MPs also urged the MoD to rethink it decision to withdraw the squadron of RAF Harrier GR7s based at Kandahar just as the taskforce was beginning its mission.
.....The committee also disclosed that they had received a letter from a former Hercules pilot expressing concerns that "resources had been a constraint" on the fitting of defensive aids suites to the aircraft.
It followed the shooting down of a Hercules C130K in Iraq in January.
Despite an assurance from the commander of joint operations, Air Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy, that all aircraft deployed to Afghanistan would be fitted with a defensive aids suite "appropriate" to the threat, the MPs were not satisfied.
"The suggestion that aircraft are not being properly protected for resource reasons is a serious one and we call on the MoD to provide evidence that this is not the case," they said.

I have also obtained elements of the Def Com report published yesterday

Defensivee Aid Suite

65. On 30 January 2005, a C130K Hercules was shot down in Iraq.
Inevitably discussion arose about the extent and effectiveness of the Defensive Aid Suite (DAS) fitted to aircraft deployed to Afghanistan. One former C130 Hercules pilot wrote to us expressing his concerns suggesting, amongst other things, that resources had been a constraint on decisions taken about the fitting of the DAS.

66. Air Marshal Torpy told the Committee that "All our aircraft will have an appropriate suite of those capabilities to match the threat that our intelligence
indicates is going to be faced in Afghanistan". Following the evidence session, we asked MoD to respond to the concerns that had been put to us in more detail. We had not received a substantive responsive from MoD by the end of the inquiry.

67. We note that concerns have been raised about the appropriateness of
the defensive aid suite fitted to C130 Hercules used in Afghanistan. We also note MoD's assurances that the Hercules DAS is appropriate to conditions in Afghanistan.

68. We accept that the scope for investment in equipment is infinite, but the suggestion that aircraft are not being properly protected for resource reasons is
a serious one and we call on MoD to provide evidence to demonstrate that this is not the case.

Nice to see the Def Comm flexing its muscles. Now the MoD has to prove that the J DAS program was not cancelled because of cost and that the current DAS is up to the threat in theatre. And I do believe another letter will be winging in soon. Heads up for this weekend, Mail on Sunday and Sunday Telegraph may be worth a look. Cannot disclose now due confidentiality.

Just want to make a point about spares for DAS and suchlike. When Sarajevo was at its peak and IRCM was required we started running out of bulbs and had to hand across spares to the Chinook fleet. I believe stocks ran low resulting in IRCM becoming desirable instead of mandatory. Tucumseh the definition of DAS is hugely helpful to what I am trying to do. If you can PM me I would greatly appreciate it. Ingram's argument for sending in the slick MK3 rests on the "facts" that MK3 ac were equipped with DAS, and this DAS (IRCM) was appropriate for the task. I believe he may regret confirming the statemente he made in 2002.

Last edited by nigegilb; 6th Apr 2006 at 14:22.