PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Clearance vs Platform Altitude
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2006, 09:58
captainpaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys!

I have understood that in the UK they tend not issue a full approach clearance and say "descend on the ILS" or whatever in order to ensure that you maintain your current altitude until glideslope intercept.

I have always operated to fogrunners philosophy both in the US and IRL/UK and had no problems, however have recently had a problem in Espana similar to what Best Foot Forward has said. In this case we were a good few miles right of the centreline and previously cleared to a flight level. We were then given an intercept heading and cleared for the approach. No further descent indicated, no QNH given. Shortly afterwards, we were asked by an upset ATCO whether we were descending to the initial patform altitude or not! I have difficulty understanding how we were to guess the QNH and descend to an altitude while still not established on any approach segment?

It would make sense to me that you should at least be established on a published segment of the approach before commencing descent. Does anyone know where I might find written guidance to this problem? I certainly can't find anything anywhere!!

CP

Last edited by captainpaddy; 6th Apr 2006 at 10:08.