PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 5th Apr 2006, 15:59
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
ALQ 157

Nige

"I was very interested by the carefully chosen words when explaining what a defensive aids suite is. Anyone still think ALQ 157 is a DAS?"

Having managed ALQ 157 (ARI 23469) in the early 90s, when it was a designated (partial) fit to Sea King HC Mk4, Chinook and Hercules, I can assure you it is NOT a Defensive Aids Suite. It is a (rather simplistic) Infra Red Jammer manufactured (or at least supplied by) by Loral Electro Optical Systems in Pasadena. The Maintenance Policy was 1A, 2B (Lyneham), 4CD. That is, we suffered the usual nonsense of having to return u/s kit to California and, because we were a minority user, the Pipeline Times were very lengthy; with Customs exacerbating things at every turn. Perhaps things are better now?

I've managed quite a few DAS systems, and can assure you that one could only term it a "suite" if they were fully integrated. That is, a comprehensive fit of RWR, ESM, MAW, Chaff/Flare, DIRCM etc is not a "suite" unless they are intelligently integrated; with themselves and with other aircraft systems such as comms. And that is where the MoD fall down because kit like this which is only partial or role fit is often fitted by Service Engineered Modification, and so highly unlikely to work to its full potential. I know of many long standing cases whereby we have sought to do this integration properly only to have funding denied on cost grounds. (It's admittedly very expensive to properly trial EW kit, but what this means is that, lacking performance/integration trials results, it is difficult to make a case for MAR, so the default position becomes, in many cases, a hastily cobbled together SEM. It is well known that Westland once assessed such an EW SEM and said "It works, but it's unsafe". It entered service (!!), whereupon Westland were immediately proved right. Funding to make it safe was denied).

Finally, you will find that such systems (partial/role fit) are often procured under UOR or are cash-capped. That means the Service buy as many full systems as they can, and few spares. I've seen UORs approved to procure more systems, when all the existing ones are stacked up at the company because we lack funding to pay for relatively cheap, simple spares. You can get millions for a UOR, but not thousands for the spares which would negate the UOR! I used to think this daft, but then I was told to wind my neck in as complaining about such waste is, of course, a disciplinary offence in the Civil Service. (Confirmed under FOI).