PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greek TCAS incident & query re Automatic Collision Avoidance System
Old 5th Apr 2006, 11:33
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anotherthing,

I think what BarryCuda was alluding to is the way ACAS/TCAS should be used
fair enough.

Some pilots - and I would like to stress, it's not too many, believe that TCAS is an instrument that can also be used to give them a picture of what is going on around them.
<nods> Overuse of the TD is a major issue.

However, we should appreciate that the TD can form one of many inputs into a pilots situational awareness. It certaining gives a picture, trying to tell flight crew it doesn't is I feel counterproductive. The problem comes when people think it forms a complete picture and don't understand the limitations.

The TD should never be the sole reason for initiating a change of flight path, but that does not preclude it being the starting point of a course of action, e.g. a query to ATC.

When being told about traffic by ATC, the phrase "we have it on TCAS" means nothing - it might be the wrong A/C!!
I couldn't agree more. Pretty much the only sensible response is "Roger" - takes up less airtime!

It's misuse has caused incidents in the past
<nods> Absolutely. I sense a mutual preaching to the choir between the two of us