PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farewell Colt
Thread: Farewell Colt
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2006, 10:03
BEagle

Received 301 Likes on 114 Posts
Diverted into Colt once in an F4 after my alleged leader had paid no attention to my 'Bingo' calls.......

Superbly well looked after. A really nice place with a can-do attitude.

Next time I visited was last year, some 20+ years later. As mere civilian filth, I drove to the guardroom, expecting the usual "Who are you, show yer ID, don't know nuffink' about it" you get elsewhere. But no - this was Colt and the non-contractorised guardroom staff were supremely courteous and helpful. They even arranged for the duty Landrover to show me where to go.

Later we had a meeting in the museum and a lecture from its volunteer custodian. Utterly amazing - but symptomatic of the corporate pride everyone had in the place. Looking around, it was like being back on a 'real' station before the days of the creeping cancer of contractorisation. It was well kept and overtly military - no scruffy civilians slouching about the place.

I hope that something has been done to secure the future of the museum - an astonishingly comprehensive collection of items all displayed immaculately.

The only real drawback to Colt was the poor road access.

I see that the navy are quibbling over Yeovilton or Dulldrose. Why don't they hand one or the other over to the RAF - or, even better, return Chivenor? Then we could close Valley......