PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC Vs AVID
Thread: ASIC Vs AVID
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2006, 07:47
ToucheTurtle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like most people out there, I too had problems with my ASIC/AVID.

After a number of calls to CASA trying to find out what was happening, I was told that I had applied for an AVID, not an ASIC (My fault I guess, for not keeping a copy of the form I sent to them).

Anyway, when I asked what needed to be done to upgrade to an ASIC, I was asked about my flying situation, by two different casa people, and was told both times that I am NOT ALLOWED to apply for an ASIC because I have no need for FREQUENT access to a secure area of a security controlled airport (check wording in quote from casa website below). Apparently only those that need FREQUENT access can apply for the ASIC.

Quote:
Aviation Security Identity Card (ASIC)
You need a valid ASIC if you need frequent access to a secure area of a security controlled airport that has Regular Public Transport (RPT) operations. An ASIC is valid for two years before being renewed.

I was told that if I need to fly into a security controlled airport, I need to ring that airports security department and arrange for someone to meet me at the aircraft and show them my AVID (which I now have) to get me through the secure area.

The bugger of a thing is that I do need to fly into security controlled airports, it's just that my need, at the moment, is not FREQUENT.

What defines FREQUENT I asked casa, and they couldn't tell me!!

Seeing how 99.9% of ASIC/AVID talk here seems to be about ASIC's I assume that most people have applied for the ASIC, I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience to myself, and been stuck with an AVID, and how many people applied for and received, an ASIC even they will hardly ever, if not never, go into a security controlled airport.

Touche