PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expeditionary Air Wings
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2006, 22:16
bird99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to set the record straight - with no bias at all. The idea is that when a Stn deploys - like to Kandahar with Harriers - once it is an established det (ie when you have an increasing number of non-Stn personnel supporting - ie after the initial det has settled in) the Det will get its own EAW number. So the NFU non-core-stn (is that a noun...no) personnel become part of the new (9-series) EAW. From what I've seen a group identity for all deployed unit personnel is a good idea - if the DOB Cdr leads from the front and identifies it as such. Otherwise it will, of course, be just a badge. But surely that's what DOB Cdrs (normally aircrew Wg Cdr/Gp Capt) are there to do (no I don't want to start a whole sub-thread on about particular DOB Cdrs). Done well it could be good. Of course, you've got to feel sorry for MAMS/TCW who will have a lot more sewing to do, but if the MT Driver/Chef/Admin Clerk feels they are part of a team - not always the case - then that can only be positive. Downside is much work to make this happen like this - perhaps the advertising of the concept is a bit remiss if this aim is misunderstood. As I said, I remain neutral but would like to see it work so some of the NFU guys feel more included (not because of the badge but because of the concept)...