PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The bits wot you have to take with you
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2006, 13:40
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much are you prepared to spend? Binoculars are like cameras, hi-fi, TV, motor cars, etc. Pay small cash and you get junk. All my life I have preferred powerful glasses - I started with Krauss 16x50 in 1961 and they lasted me until the mid-90s and travelled around the world several times. I then replaced them with Zeiss 15x60 and they too have travelled the world. Quite simply, they are superb. I use bins for bird-watching, aircraft spotting and general observation and would never accept anything smaller for general use. My wife and I also have Opticron 10x50 for close-in bird and butterfly watching, but they are not in the same league as my Zeiss. You can get 12x Opticrons and this might be a good option. We also have Minolta 10x25 mini-binoculars, which are outstanding but not really suitable for long-distance work. Lastly we also use telescopes for birding and aircraft spotting - I have a 40x Optolyth and my wife has a 60x Svarowski. Do remember thast ideally the object glass should be at least 4x the magnification for best light transmission. Eg 10x50 would be fine but 20x40 would be rubbish.
If you can afford it, go for Zeiss or Leica. If you can't go for Opticron..