PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worst mistake you've made?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2006, 11:50
Ringway004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the worst mistake I made? well it's nothing to do with flying in general but it has something to do with those big jets at work, here goes:

I went into work one last summer morining(2005) at Manchester Airport and was called out to load a PIA 747 bound for JFK( second day of at work, I woz a newbee). Anyhow I make my way down to the bay it's parked which is like 2miles away, and since I wasn't assigned to a specific crew nobody had expected me and those who noticed me turn up were quiet surprised since they'd done all the hard work and only crew bags were waiting to be loaded
so I make my way up the belt and ino the back of the 747 cargo hold about 15ft high above ground, during this time I failed to notice that my unknown crew memebrs were already making their way back to the brew rooms. As I was stacking the bags, which weiged like they has bricks! PIA service, I noticed how everything suddenly went so quiet, no cars, nobody shouting, so I decided to take alook out of the door and noticed the ramp had gone, no drivers or soul on the Apron! OH SHI**T! i thought then the cargo lights flickered off and I hear the engines start up, chokes removed and plane starts rolling bak off bay, HOLY SH**t i thought
luckilly the ramp co-ordinator came bombing back to rescue me, otherwise I would have aended up in JFK only in the form of a frozen chip!