PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS APPROACHES
Thread: GPS APPROACHES
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2006, 04:59
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not so sure "the rest of the world" is so far behind. We were doing approved helicopter GPS approaches in Australia by 1997, and Terry Summers, a NSW based EMS Captain and Instrument ATO was heavily involved in setting the international standards of the approaches. "A matter of fact" as you would put it.

I note that the USA has settled on the "T" entries, but Australia went for the "Y" entries which I believe are the ICAO standard. The Y entry is essentially the same, but it requires a less than 90 degree turn on to the FAF leg. In addition, that standard has a third IAF 3 odd miles (for helicopters) out from the IF and in line with the finals leg. This creates three possible IAF, each with a maximum of 70 degree turns to join the initial leg.

The real development will be courtesy of a Mr Lappos. This will be when they start certifying GPS approaches to the helicopter capabilities of very slow speed at the missed approach point, all flown coupled. In that area, the USA is far ahead, and it will be some time before it seeps into Australia. But our fingers are crossed.