PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - after the RAF
Thread: after the RAF
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 00:04
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, sweet nostalgia! I can actually recall when potential pilots joined for reasons of commitment, ethos, for the love of the life,to be the best there is etc, and not because of what might be possible once all that free and very expensive training was in the bank.

Of course, not all who serve can do so for ever because it would enormously complicate the promotion pyramid and we would end up with more senior, non-flying types than we have aircraft [what was that, we have that now?], and so it is logical for those who have the skills and the knowledge to transfer them to the civilian world. Good on 'em! I reached the conclusion many years ago that the very best the air force produce leave; the corollary of which is that those stay are not, necessarily, the cream of the crop. Various opinions stated on the forums on the present state of senior management would seem to confirm that view. They all, nevertheless, had one thing in common when they joined; commitment! By the truck-load.

Which brings me to to you, Sicky. The responses here may seem, to your eyes, to be rather harsh, but, to be frank; what did you expect from a professional body? Contrary to your stated self-assessment, I think you most certainly have an attitude problem in that you come across as totally clueless and uncommitted about that which you seem to expect will be handed to you simply because you think it's a good idea. Go to any RAF interview with that approach and be sure to leave the door behind you open to facilitate the rapid exit which will undoubtedly follow.

Sorry, but you wouldn't get past first base with your attitude.