PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR ATPL or SA ATPL??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 22:39
kd28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking JAR ATPL or SA ATPL??

Hi,

I have recently decided to turn my passion for flying into a career and I am now at a cross road needing to decide which route to go.

Here is a little background about myself and my intentions:

I am German, currently living in London(UK) but grew up in South Africa(SA citizen). I hold a JAR PPL licence. I am also thinking of returning to SA in year or so and would really like to work there as a pilot. Going back to SA will not necessarily be permanent as I want to keep my options open.

Now, my recent enquiries with CAA of SA have shown me that a "conversion" from JAR to SA is not possible, and that I will only receive a validation for licence and that they don't recognize a "frozen ATPL" altogether.

So I am hoping that you guys can shed some light or advise on the following:

1.) Which ATPL should I go for (SA or JAR, I would prefer JAR as I can start now and can do it via correspondence)?
2.) How will a "frozen" JAR ATPL be recognized in SA?
3.) When I initially contacted the CAA in SA and they mentioned that a validation of a foreign licence is only valid for the type it is endorsed in...Now does this mean Single or Multi or the actual planes that I have flown?
4.) I will definitely also do a FI course and thought it might be an advantage to also hold a JAR FI rating to teach JAR course in SA.
5.) What are the chances of a South-African/German...fluent in English, German and Afrikaans to land any kind of pilot work in SA?

I know that these are quite a few questions and I would really appreciate any answers, feedback, ideas or inspirations.

Thanks
KD28

Last edited by kd28; 2nd Apr 2006 at 22:59.