PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 15:01
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I have flown with someone who was on the Gatow trip but I had not previously connected up the two incidents. I remember Reid saying that in the threat assessment undertaken in 2002 it was not deemed necessary to equip the Herc with foam. This claim can clearly be seen to be ridiculous. Now we can establish that the first request goes back an awful long way. It is most useful in demolishing Government claims. As for "IRCM only" being appropriate for Afghan airspace, I still do not understand why I am here to tell the story. I always understood IRCM to be a stand alone jammer and yes my crew did go into theatre on one occasion when we suspected it was not working, such was the faith we had in its ability to keep us safe.

I am tempted to say we now need an enquiry, but we have all seen the results of enquiries, you select a friendly face to ask the questions and hey presto "it was nothing to do with me guv." No wonder this is getting people worried. It is nothing to do with protecting lives more a rearguard action to protect precious careers.

I have decided to write to the Defence Committee Chairman again......

By the way, if anyone was involved in the Falklands War or First Gulf War and you feel like contributing, it sure would be nice to hear from you!!!!!!

Last edited by nigegilb; 2nd Apr 2006 at 15:53.