PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin Star (DA42) - Glass vs Clockwork
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 14:08
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moggiee

I didn't say it was any more restrictive - what I was saying was that you are assuming people will be choosing beforehand to fly modern jets and turboprop! That is not the way to start a course unless you're sponsored. Even there I don't think there's any special advantage so I disagree that "the DA42 is the most logical choice", but I was just pointing out the assumption.

It is only a specifically logical choice for a new aircraft. It is cheaper to run than a petrol-engined aircraft, but that saving is taken by the extra cost of the airframe unless a school was going to buy new anyway.

If there is a reason to fly with three levers per engine, then I would say that the reason for making the IR challenging while you are still used to flying the complex type (required for the CPL) is that if you don't then your observation will be reversed. You will not find a large, last-generation turboprop easier to fly than a DA-42. Then not only are you learning to operate the aircraft and deal with emergencies you have suddenly stepped back a stage in complexity again as well.

However I was not trying to argue a positive advantage for the traditional twin, just that there was no advantage to having done an IR on the DA-42.

Charley

Interesting that it doesn't say anything about the nature of the training - in fact as far as I can see a ground brief would cover initial differences training, let alone a check ride. On the other hand if you haven't flown that type in a couple of years the differences retraining has to be specifically entered into the log book.