PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uncertain law student with nagging wish to fly
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 13:34
HCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncertain law student with nagging wish to fly

Hi there,

New member here, basically looking to bounce ideas off someone. I've always loved aviation, wasted loads of time on MS Flight Sim when I was a kid, scrounged a couple of flights from a friend with a private plane, etc. Decided to do aeronautical engineering after A levels, but moved countries and ended up postponing that (despite having been accepted by several good UK universities). Ended up working various jobs for a few years, travelled a bit, lived a bit, normal stuff. Got very interested in politics and economics, and when I finally decided I should knuckle down and get on with a career, decided to go into law. Was accepted by King's College in London, and am currently in my second year of reading law here in London.

Problem is, I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. In fact, I'm worried that I'm very soon going to develop a hatred for everything to do with law. And despite repeatedly telling myself that a commercial pilot is nothing more than a glorified bus driver, I just can't get the desire to fly out of my system. Today I checked the Class 1 medical requirements and it looks like my vision (between -5D and -6D for both eyes, haven't had an eye exam for three years, but can see perfectly) is not an insurmountable problem or soon won't be a problem at all in the UK. I may have been somewhat in denial about wanting to fly because I wouldn't have been able to get a medical in the UK, and living in the US is not an option for a lot of personal reasons.

So I was wondering about a couple of things. I'm 24-years-old: is that a bit on the late side to hope for sponsorship of some kind? If not, could I struggle through my law degree (another 1.5 years) without worrying about age being a limiting factor after that? Would a law degree help my chances of securing sponsorship?

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated!