PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 08:02
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FF

I am sure that people ARE asking questions - and we'll see what comes of them or whether they get the 'DO-AS-YOU-ARE-TOLD' (D-A-Y-A-T) treatment!

Now, don't get me wrong, in the military, sometimes, we DO have to say 'Yessir, nossir, threebagsfullsir' - but normally there has to be a VERY good reason and, ideally, their Lordships should tell the troops WHY it is so important they risk their necks before lauching into D-A-Y-A-T - you know, that basic leadership/SMEAC-thing!?

For example, during the movement of Hajj Prilgrims from Kabul to Jeddah in 2002. Everyone thought it was bonkers and far too dangerous, being as we were going to be carrying the very same people who had just mobbed and murdered their Aviation minister on the apron at Kabul (in front of the armed UK det)!

We asked for clarification, pointing out some very sensitive int that perhaps their airships at PJHQ had overlooked. Apparently, the questions went up very high but as ministerial assurances had already been given, it was fait-a-complis.

As it happens, the situation on the ground at Kabul was so unstable, that the commander of ISAF believed that if WE didn't start moving these pilgrims, they could lose control of the ground situation - endangering 1000s of brit soldiers. Now if their lordships had had the courage to tell us the danger our countrymen were in, our crews would have had no qualms about carrying these 'pilgrims' (all Northern Alliance families - perhaps? - dunno?). (I only learnt this after the event.)

Instead, we got the D-A-Y-A-T treatment with no reasons, along with the definite threat of disciplinary action - and a whole load of platitudes and assurances - as if we were school-children.

It was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do - ordering people to do something they knew was possible suicide. But if we had just downed tools or I had 'fallen on my sword' - someone more senior would have just come along and ordered the crews to go anyway, over my dead body, so to speak. I figured that I was more use asking questions and supporting those brave guys and girls who were going to be flying into danger. As it was, everything turned shambolic when most of the assurances that we had been given failed to materialise.

BTW we were most grateful for the help of some ATSy snowflakes who helped keep order.

The only place that a D-A-Y-A-T attitude has a place, is actually on the battlefield (land, air or sea) - I have never seen a reason to act like that when planning/briefing the battle, or after, in the recovery phase. Officers who hide behind this are doing a dis-service to themselves and those they command.

Last edited by flipster; 2nd Apr 2006 at 08:32.