PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 07:22
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foam

I understamd that a press statement from the MoD is due shortly. We await the news with interest. Meanwhile I have been looking at the A400M. It appears the Lords are on the ball.

"As the A400M has an in-service date of 2010, there will be sufficient time to adapt its capability to the evolving threat.

Lord Redesdale: My Lords, how long will it take to transfer defensive aids suites from one aircraft to another? More importantly, how much will that cost? The operation could be quite expensive.

Lord Bach: My Lords, there is no intention to move defensive aids suites from one aeroplane to another. One must realise that defensive aids suites are a package that can contain various units—they do not all contain the same ones. The average cost of a defensive aids suite is roughly £15 million per plane.

Lord Jones: My Lords, when will the first aircraft fly? Does my noble friend believe that the Germans will buy it? Lord Bach: My Lords, I can give the noble Lord and the House that assurance. The attack in Kenya highlights what is an evolving threat to aircraft in general. We keep that threat under constant review, as the noble Lord would expect us to do. Such incidents are taken into consideration when assessing the need for future DAS capabilities. The decision taken in 2001 was based on planning assumptions valid at the time. We are now looking into that as a matter of priority.

Lord Campbell of Alloway: My Lords, the Minister said that there was "time to adapt" the other aircraft. Does that expression apply to all 16 remaining aircraft?

Lord Bach: My Lords, our order is for 25 aircraft. We will adapt them with defensive aids suites if we feel that it is necessary for the safety of their crew—that is our primary responsibility—or if the role of the A400M changes so that it is used in a much more tactical role than at present.

Lord Marlesford: My Lords, was the point of the supplementary question by my noble friend Lord Astor not to illustrate the fact that the Al'Qaeda attack on the Israeli plane in Mombasa failed because it was fitted with heat deflectors? Does that not suggest that not only should all Royal Air Force aircraft have that equipment, but there is probably a case for fitting many civilian airliners with heat deflectors against such missiles, given the present threat from Al'Qaeda and similar terrorist group?

So, we have 9 units out of 25 with DAS none with fuel tank inerting protection and we are not planning to switch the DAS between frames. Should be good for some nice trips to the States......