PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin Star (DA42) - Glass vs Clockwork
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2006, 22:47
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billiebob
JAR-FCL 1 mandates differences training before you fly a PA34, and again before you fly a C310, or a DA42
Where does it state that? I am interested because I was cleared on three aircraft with nothing but a check out. Admittedly one was an LPC/OPC which was part of mandated training, but for the AOC not the aircraft. One was with a recently-qualified MEP instructor who is a stickler for the rules, and very much involved with JARs. Another check was brief as I was already checked out on the company's other twin, and with one of the most qualified examiners in the country, who works closely alongside the CAA and is well aware of the regulations.

Note that difference training that is advised but not mandated has much the same effect as mandatory training. No-one will hire you one without (their insurance company would probably not cover it, under due care clauses) and if you buy one then no-one is likely to check either way unless you crash it and damage someone. Then if you have to defend yourself in court you will not be able to justify ignoring advice much more easily than ignoring the law!
Originally Posted by moggie
the DA42 is the most logical choice
Why? There is no particular advantage. In fact I would suggest you are much less prepared for many jobs. Look at a light turboprop such as a Beech 90 (I only say this because I was in one on Saturday). It has the same number of levers as a 'traditional' light twin! In the case I was flying in the same instruments too, with the obvious exception of the engine instruments. There are plenty of early jobs in clockwork cockpits!

Also why restrict yourself before you even start? People should not be thinking "t'prop or jet" before they even start the course, they should be thinking "flying job". I did not expect to end up doing what I am doing, flying a PA-34, but it is huge fun, I'm the Captain already and it pays better than many junior FOs get! Think of the problems I'd have had though if I'd only flown under IFR on glass instruments with single-lever power. The change over would have been a shock, at the same time as learning single-crew air-charter operations.