PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relative Environmental Impact?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2006, 15:18
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. For me, the most interesting part of the recent face-saving Bombardier "we've-postponed-the-C-series-but-not-killed-it-oh-no-sirree" announcements was the fact that they are planning a stretch of the Q400. I think that as fuel prices stay high (or rise further) and as environmental-impact issues gain more importance, larger turboprops will become more attractive. A few years ago, the Q400 line was on its last legs - I remember seeing an article along the lines of "The Q400 will probably be the last turboprop airliner ever built." How times change.

Given that Dornier managed to design a common wing for the 328 (prop) and 328JET, I don't suppose there's any chance that the smallest model of the next-gen 737 replacement or A320 replacement could be designed to use (large) turboprops as an alternative powerplant (with conventional turbofans or geared fans available for operators who need the higher speed for longer sectors)? Boeing are reported to be considering a new design down as low as 90-110 seats, and I think a couple more years of high oil prices and looming emissions-related taxation may start to make turboprops an attractive option at least for the shorter sectors currently operated by 737s/A320s. That's my hope anyway.

C.