PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Pacific 777
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2006, 12:49
plainmaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Information is very recent (as in the last three weeks) and from the horse's (manufacturer's) mouth.

Don't deny that EK is looking at not taking up the 340's they are commited to, but they sought deferral from Airbus to 'wait' for the 340E as part of the sweetner to not lose deposits. That excuse may seem a bit lame, but I am told that the spare hulls coming through are being offered at very attractive finance arrangements if the new owners/operators agree to sign quickly so that EK doesn't do it's dough.

There has been a lot of shuffling to re-allocate the hulls (specific build numbers I do not have in front of me), but given that part of one of our businesses is driven by operators taking up airframes, and the requests we have had to re-prioritise product, to me indicates some very fluid activity that confirm the VB 340 rumour.

I cannot disagree with the EK captain's comment. The 777 is liked by virtually every operator as it's economics are brilliant. But from a fleet perspective, given EK's expansion plans, their establishment in the A330 and their route network, I do not see EK commiting to a 777/380 demographic in the medium term. The 330/340 mix works for them while they are expanding and cannot get enough 777 hulls.

The only issue remains about VB eventually getting 777's. Seems the economics of the 340's now on offer more than make up for the premium that would need to be paid to get 777's in a reasonable time - SQ are not about to gift half a dozen or so, nor is any-one else going to release production slots.

Plainmaker