PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC Vs AVID
Thread: ASIC Vs AVID
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2006, 11:44
multi_engined

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ASIC Vs AVID

Hi,
I wasn't sure where exactly to post this so please re-direct me if this is the incorrect place...

By accident when I was applying for my Australian student pilot licence I accidentally applied for an AVID (Aviation Identification) card rather than the ASIC card. I called up CASA several times to change my application to the ASIC from the AVID and they asked me to send an additional $95 for the processing fee just to get the application changed over That is another $95 on top of the $145 I have already paid for all the security checks to be carried out. I thought this must have been some kind of a joke. On the application you pay $145 regardless of whether you are applying for the ASIC or the AVID card... so essentially why is it such a big deal just to get it changed when there are no other security checks involved in the changeover...

Now what I want to know is what is the actual difference between the two security cards? I know that the ASIC is only valid for two years and the AVID being five... Is it really that much of a hassle just getting by with an AVID for the PPL and CPL training and then getting an ASIC later on?

If anyone else has had the same issue or been through the same thing can you please shed some light on this issue!

Regards,
ME