PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - eirjet A320 LANDS AT WRONG AIRPORT!
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2006, 23:38
arewenearlythereyet?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Sorry ZICODIAN but you are well out of order with your last and previous posts.
I am a fully licensed advanced aerobatics pilot with 2500 hours. No, I may not be as skilled as you, but I might know enough about flying to offer an opinion.
Thay is precisely why some of us get rather angry with people like you. Just because you hold a basic licence doesn't give you the right to pontificate your opinions on here. I have no experience flying aerobatics and therefore don't presume to offer opinions about it.

I believe that pilots should know where they are at all times. I have not flown large passenger jets, but I would expect that the first officer could check the GPS-derived coordinates before actually landing. Obviously, something fundamental like this needs to be done, even if it is simply a visual reference outside as a final confirmation that the airport observed is, in fact, the correct airport. It appears that the some of the most basic of navigational techniques, dead reckoning, was lost in this event.
Well, that just about sums up your lack of appreciation of the difference between flying a modern jet aircraft and whatever it is that you fly for your aerobatics. I won't even begin to go into the differences but your shoot yourself in the foot with the opener "I have not flown large passenger jets" and then go on to tell us what you would expect the F/O to be doing. I bet you haven't even flown 'small passenger jets' or even 'small jets' or even 'jets'.

Please, do us all a favour, go and find yourself an enthusiasts site where your 'aerobatic' experience will be taken as gospel proof that you know what you are talking about and leave this site for those of us who do know what it is like and what we can and can't do when flying our heavy metal. If you want to offer an 'opinion' rather than ask a question, then go and do the training, take the exams, get some experience and then come back here and we may then actually listen to you. For the time being, I have you and a few others posting on here down to a 'T', enthusiastic amateurs with a wannabe attitude but with nothing to back it up.