PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Approach Plates
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2006, 19:21
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't realise you actually worked for Jepp, atb1943

OK, take the package called "JeppView Europe". You would think "Europe" means Europe, wouldn't you? Actually no, to get most of the rest of "Europe" you also have to buy "JeppView Eastern Europe Special". It comes to best part of £2k. Even that doesn't get you all of "Europe".

I am also right about Jepp's pointless dropping of Flitemap, especially Flitemap IFR. I was just about to buy that product; a good job I didn't. Arguably, the "holy grail" in navigation is to be able to plan a route and then have a moving map display over the same planned route and you have just pulled the only reasonably priced way to do that.

At the same time you also pulled the only way to display VFR charts en route (i.e. as a moving map) using your VFR/GPS chart add-on CD. Having VFR charts in the cockpit, especially as a moving map, is often a good idea even when flying IFR (if, for example, one has to descend due to icing or due to some other problem, perhaps landing at some VFR airfield). All that is left now is the airline-pilot-seat-priced Jeppview IFR product.

I know a number of Flitedeck users who are well cheesed off with that decision.

Jepp think they can do what they like to their customers, because nobody else has the data, and their main customers will always pay the price. Unfortunately they are right.

JV3/Flitedeck is an impressive product, once you have sussed out the various quirks in how to use it. But its USP remains the Jepp data. The software is a hack which nobody could sell with a straight face today, in another market