PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crystal ball - No Oil / carbon credits - nest egg broken!
Old 30th Mar 2006, 10:23
Mooney12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This issue has always worried me. The expansion of China and India is really the nail in the coffin. Of course they have every right to expand, but they are upsetting the balance of things. 50 years of oil left is not a lot! (Im unsure of this figure..does anyone else have any info?). Reading the US Army report, I note the possibility of "oil wars". Excellent. Just what we all need, but we can all see it coming.

The environmental impact of aviation is also of major concern to me. Although Im a pilot, when I get told that on a typical long-haul flight more carbon dioxide is produced per passenger than their car produces in a year, I am shocked!

On a typical short-haul flight accross Europe about 100kg of Co2 is produced per person per leg. This is the equivalent of a new Brian O'Driscoll worth of Co2 per flight. Not surprisingly Ryanair is now Europes biggest pollutor.

In my personal opinion the new technology of pumping co2 back into the ground is a probable solution. That will lock the co2 back into the earths crust for millions of years and allows fossil fuels to be used in an enviromentally friendly manner.

Last edited by Mooney12; 30th Mar 2006 at 10:36.