PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL to ATPL advice...
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 19:09
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the RAF turned me down for pilot on the basis that I went to a German school because my father was in the Army posted out in Germany,
What? I'm sorry, but that doesn't seem right. I, and several of my RAF and Army 'brat' friends - and my brother - joined from BAOR/RAFG families, and the fact that we had been born, educated and/or employed in Germany was never an issue. Nor was it for those born etc in Singapore, Hong Kong, Malta or any of the dozens of other places Service families found, and still find, themselves.

Anyway, your age: read this thread.

Money: you will need something over £40,000 - and possibly up to £100,000 if you go for an intergrated course followed by a jet type rating. A bank will not lend you the money in the same way as a mortgage; you will need security for anything significantly over £10,000. If you own a house in which you have a decent amount of equity, you may well be able to either release that equity (and thus pay for your training over 25 years - expensive!) or secure a bank loan on the house. If you go for a loan you will need a business plan to convince the bank you're serious and that you've researched your choices thoroughly.

Your best start is the sticky thread at the top of this forum. It's called ARCHIVE REFERENCE THREADS - Read Before You Post A Question. Try it.

Scroggs