PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of a non-IR CPL
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 18:51
betterfromabove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of sensible advice... the idea of part-time instruction certainly attracts me medium-term. That's why I've zoomed in on the non-IR CPL.

Essentially wondering about the add-on benefits of the "commercial" aspect to the licence & whether a 200-300hr non-IR CPL would get a look-in at any of this kind of (probably) part-time aerial work. Other option is set up your aerial work operation yourself I suppose. Anyway, as I said, interesting way to increase your experience while getting someone else to pay for your flying.

bfato: Absolutely agree on the post-PPL continual learning curve. How many times do we get fed up with the hassles of WX/cost/club politics/aircraft availability/tetchy instructors & still we come back for more?!?! A Licence to Learn it certainly is!

D'Vay: Why not the full IR? Well, like most PPL's, I can't justify the expense in time or money. I would love the qualification but can't see ever using it unless someone buys me a new Twin Star for Xmas! Know too many IR's (including many instructors...) who never use it in anger. As a "safety shield", the IMCR does as good (in the UK at least).

Saying that, the CAA's method of setting the exams of course does nothing to encourage people outside the profession from joining it.... why can't the exams be sat in a reputable FTO or in regional centres... even online?!?? Dream on.