PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Jet Interview process
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 16:08
jdp911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, lets not forget this little puppy : "A newhire faces the very real probability that they'll never see an upgrade and there are zero reasons for the stock to rise."

Very real probability?? How about 12 new deliveries this year, and a minimum of 12 more over the next 2 years with a more realistic number of double that. Let's not forget the very real probability of a code share with some big name partner (s) to up market share possibilities. Yes it is inevitable upgrades may slow from the 18 months - 3 year mark, but that is expected. It certainly doesn't mean "never". How long is it to the left seat of an airbus narrowbody for a new hire? Guaranteed much longer than even 5 years.

I usually sit back and watch the mindless drivel of AC and other types (and let me be clear I have no bone of contention against AC or others) slag WJ and state such predictable garbage as "the honeymoon's over" "how's the profit share now" "how's your pension" "yea, but how's the cool aid". The indisputable fact is 10 years ago a group of people decided to try something different, load up on the risk, and have a boatload of fun. They have been WELL compensated for it. WestJet has not "lowered the bar". Why is it small minds like you can't see past simple remuneration numbers and evaluate the entire package? Yes the past 2 years have been tight with little profit share and stock returns, but it's a cyclical industry! That means WHEN things turn around, which they now appear to be doing, we catch the upswing, and all of a sudden that ESP, and options, are very lucrative.

At the end of the day, I have a great job working av. 14 days a month with input on where I go, get the days off I want, and enjoy both the equipment and people I work with. I have trust, and respect for management. I have control over my retirement. Life is pretty good for me. Am I frustrated by the stock? You bet. But I signed on knowing the risk. AND the potential for reward. Why is it everyone BUT the WJA pilots are concerned about our pay.

b612, you obviously are one of the many who are displeased with and resent WJA. Why? Really, why? Because we have been lowering the bar for 10 years? Come on man, really. Be a little more creative. Just try to think outside the box, if that's possible. I think it's a combination of fear, insecurity, and ignorance. What a shame.

JP