PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of an ND?
Thread: Cost of an ND?
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 15:48
Ali Barber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In GW1 an RAF Doc had an ND. I thought they always carried bandages and plasters in their holsters! Quite a hefty fine I believe.

As for the shooting down of the Jag, John Smith (former Labour Leader) I am reliably informed was the defending lawyer at the Courts Martial, but didn't get them off. T'was many a long year before the pilot involved ever flew a live armed aircraft again (spent most of his time on OCUs as a QFI). When I was in MOD I authorised an extra missile so that he could have one on the OCU QWI's MPC, but on the strict understanding that everyone else but the target was behind him at all times (lol). He (and his nav) was a nice bloke and there was a good reason why the original incident happened (pressures of exercise, Taceval inject changing exercise procedures, crew end up scrambled in a jet they thought was armed with training/acquisition missiles instead of live armed, nobody believing them on the radio when they said they had shot an aircraft down, instructions to return to CAP, nobody believing them on the radio when they called taxying in with one less missile than they'd taken off with, etc).