PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - By the Cabin Crew door?
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 14:58
ducati1980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

A few thoughts on all of the above. I have been Cabin Crew now a Senior for the past 4 years with one charter and 1 low cost carrier. During that time I completed all of my flight training on a part time basis. It took me just under 4 years to achieve my licence however I maintained consistent employment throughout, and it was hard work. I esspecially wouldn't reccommend IR and CPL training only every 3 days in 9. But its the way I chose to do it..

Am I flying as a Pilot yet? No. Will my airline look at me with 200 hrs? No. Why? cause low cost airlines as with most others also operate on a low risk basis and have hours requirements for a reason. However if I was to achieve the relevent experience and go back to work with my airline again would they look favorably on my previous emplyment with them. YES!

Working as Cabin Crew is hard work, long hours, etc.. But its the same hours, early starts, long days as the pilots. Ok we have to put up with the general public, are they all that bad? no, and I thoroughly enjoy my job. Can more contacts be made dispatching? I doubt it. I have met many a flight crew positioning on our aircraft, got contacts for other airlines from current flight crew who have worked for other carriers etc etc...

Many have ranted on about the poor pay of Cabin Crew. I earn more than dispatchers and most ground crew. For those that want a figure the general package for a Junior Cabin Crew works out to the equivelent of about £20k for the bigger airlines. Or £1,200 ish a month take home pay, and thats with a low cost carrier.

If you are looking to work for an airline as cabin crew and would like to be looked at as a Pilot then aim your sights on the airlines which take people with 200hrs f-ATPL. Flybe, Scot, Eastern etc..... Try and get a Cabin Crew job with one of these and I would see no reason you wouldn't be looked at or stand a chance. Ok the pay with these is worse but only 2-3k still more than working for Tesco, or a call centre as many do to keep the pennies coming in.

Finally, as Cabin Crew you will more than anything, be building an experience of working in the industry. Job applications questions asking for examples of team work, leadership etc... can be drawn from aviation related experiences. I certainly will feel more comfortable in the flight deck when I get there as I will have an understanding of whats going on behind the door. Cabin Crew is not for everyone but you do alot worse as long as your commited to getting the most of it.