PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices restructure
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 14:51
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't help the cynicism.

Thought processes for new Airservices CEO...

Facts:
1. I don't understand what air traffic controllers do.
2. I don't understand how the business works.
3. The pollies and the board want me to focus on reduced costs while maintaining safety (whatever that entails).
4. This will be a good job to establish my credentials, fill in the resume and move into a high paying job in private industry and it's a government job, so there's a myriad of people to share the blame if something goes belly up.
5. I'm to pass on all praise to the Minister and keep the nasty things from going any higher.

Sole Strategy - Have Another Restructure!
The reasoning:
1. It looks like I am doing something and it appears I know my job while everyone else suffers the disruptions. My state of confusion won't look out of place and I'll fit in nicely.
2. It's a good strategy to provide an excuse to remove people who might otherwise quickly realize that I don't really know what I'm doing.
3. It allows me to appoint some young blood with ideas that they can change the world and who will suckle on their enthusiasm and gusto for a few years before their rose coloured glasses fall off.
4. In the course of regular progress briefings, I might actually learn a little about what goes on here while I maintain the image that I'm at the helm and considerate of other views. If I keep the ship in the fog, and if I continually remind people I'm steering between unseen rocks on either side using my supreme navigation skills, I'll keep their support even though I could be navigating the ship in circles in calm seas. But I'll be the one with the map.
5. By allocating responsibilities and appointing a couple of not-quite-awake fall-guys around me, I can apportion blame if something goes wrong.
6. I can talk on the focus on reduced costs and safety, but if the reality appears confused, I can use the excuse that we are going through a restructure and everyone has a mental picture of the mess entailed in home remodeling and I'm off the hook and forgiven.
7. By the time people work out that I don't really have a clue how the business works I'll be out of here. Just keep the brown stuff from getting too close to the Minister.

And if I leave a mess under the rug, the next CEO can clean it up!

Last edited by Lodown; 29th Mar 2006 at 15:15.