PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile phone use in flight
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 14:30
radeng

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Cyrano,
You beat me to it with that reference! The article is pretty definite that they see problems.
There's another thread on Pprune about A300 rudders and the effects of old age. There are those who question the effects of age on the immunity of aircraft systems, as moisture gets into connectors, cables move and abrade and so on. So a nice new aircraft may well be very different to an ten year old one. A good example of a lack of EMC immunity is the Tornado - a friend who flew tankers told me they have to wind the power down to less than a mobile 'phone.
The European Telecommunication Standards Institute and the Electronic Communications Committee of the European Conference on Posts and Telecommunications are looking at cellular pico cells in aircraft. An interesting problem is that the jammer proposed may well kill off the bottom few channels of DME: Airbus apparently don't see this as a problem, presumably because it's easier to sell 'planes to customers who can make money by selling telephone service on board......
Funnily enough, most of the engineers at these meetings travel enough that the thought of "I'm on the 'plane" occurring really wants them to see the project fail!