PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 14:01
Phil.Capron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All!
BA are flying one enormous great kite but I'll leave you guys to decide that for yourselves.
What interests me is Balpa's position with regards collective bargaining.I'm not sure that Balpa legally can reach an agreement with BA on this matter and either party have any right to expect the pilot(s) to accept it.What about those who are not Balpa members?(This is a relatively minor point but think about it).Industrial law may have changed and I'm no expert but I believe any pilot if he or she so wished could say "No,I'd like to stick with my present pension arrangement".There are some close to retirement or elsewhere who might be inclined to test this in a court of law.This present "Con" compares slightly to the case of the APS/NAPS merger.Just because BA are suggesting something doesn't mean it'll stand up to legal/professional scrutiny.
On the other hand someone should ask Balpa where they stand if they don't like the final settlement.
Bob Ayling saw a window of opportunity with the pensions merger and likewise WW with this debacle.I wish all you guys all the best for the future.HTH.
As an american once said "How do you get to be the world's most profitable airline?Get the staff to subsidise it."