PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Flight Safety Posters
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 10:15
Flatus Veteranus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the '80s (I think) DFS did a super poster. It was the rear view of a lady tennis player approaching the net. She had raised her skirt to scratch her bum and it was very evident she had no panties on. Very shapely, too!
The caption was "Never Assume, Always Check".

Soon after it was issued CAS was visiting a station where the poster was displayed in Ops or wherever. CAS was a bit of a prude and did his nut, ordering the immediate removal of the poster. On return to London he summoned DFS himself and gave him a king-size bollocking for trivialising Flight Safety, and ordered him to withdraw all the posters on issue. It is said that the Director's career never recovered.

Fast forward a few years until I was retired and working in the MOD as a civil servant. I managed to wangle one of these by now highly prized posters, which were secreted away in some dusty store. I put it up on the wall of my office in Metropole, well hidden from general view by filing cabinets etc. My lady boss, almost young enough to be my daughter and an ardent feminist, took umbrage and accused me of sexism and various other
terrible "isms". So I had to take it down. I wish I had kept it because it was certainly popular and had an impact, at least around MOD.